And specifically in Targu Mures where Heineken operates a multi-brand beer production site with a capacity of 1.25Mhl/year.
In 2018, Heineken launched a plan to modernise its production facility, reduce its specific water consumption per hl of beer produced, and improve the performance of its existing wastewater treatment plant, built back in 2000.
After an international call for tenders, SADE INGENIERIE SRL was selected ahead of 4 other competitors from Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands as the successful bidder for the deal to renovate the existing wastewater treatment plant and increase its treatment capacity.
3 points of SADE INGENIERIE SRL’s tender made the difference
- a smart technical solution strictly meeting the client’s expectations by reusing as much existing equipment as possible (particularly by reusing the existing beer production tanks);
- the most appropriate solution in terms of CAPEX/OPEX, meeting specific local conditions;
- a turnkey project involving its experienced local design and construction teams.
- the design work and permit applications,
- the civil engineering work to rehabilitate the input storage tank, new buildings,
- the supplying and installation of all new equipment (pumps, mixers, ventilators, decanters, aeration system, etc.),
- the SCADA supervision system,
- the commissioning of the plant and training of operating staff,
As for the treatment process, the plant mainly consists of 3 SBR reactors, each with a capacity of 1,150m3. They are specially designed to manage different polluting loads routed from production, and also provide functional flexibility to adjust to seasonal beer production variations.
The plant is now capable of treating wastewater generated by specific beer production processes (capacity: 1,500m3) and meeting the discharge standards applicable in Romania. N.B.: during performance testing, the plant successfully handled peak COD of 5,000mg/L despite the contract only requiring up to 3,500.
This new project, which has now been successfully finalised, is another on an already long list of industrial references. This has been regularly added to since our first project for Soufflet Maltery back in 2008. These include projects for not only major international clients: pharma (Sanofi, GlaxoSmithKline), motor vehicle industry (Continental), agri-food (Pepsi, Coca Cola, Molson Coors, Danone). But also local or regional businesses such as Maspex (Soft Drinks) and Prodvinalco (Winery). And, of course, a wide range of processes and technologies were used on all these projects: from ultra-pure water treatment to complex wastewater treatment, plus the elimination of certain pollutants.